Data Migration Process: What Is Data Migration and How Can It Help My Business?
“Data migration is the process of transferring data between data storage systems, data formats or computer systems. A data migration project is done for numerous reasons, which include replacing or upgrading servers or storage equipment, moving data to third-party cloud providers, website consolidation, infrastructure maintenance, application or database migration, software upgrades, company mergers or data centre relocation.”
What Types of Data Migration Are There?
- Storage migration’s process involves moving blocks of storage and files from one storage system to another, whether it is on disk, tape or the cloud.
- Database migration is done when there is a need to change database vendors, upgrade the database software or move a database to the cloud. Compatibility problems can occur during the migration process, so it is important to test the process first.
- Application migration can occur when switching to another vendor application or platform. This process has its own inherent layers of complexity because applications interact with other applications, and each one has its own data model. Applications are not designed to be portable.
- Cloud migration is a major technology trend, as the cloud provides on-demand flexibility. Public cloud providers offer a variety of services for storage, database and application migrations.
How to Safely Migrate Data
- Understand what data you are migrating, where it lives, what form it’s in and the form it will take at its new destination.
- Extract, transform and de-duplicate data before moving it.
- Test and validate the migrated data to ensure it is accurate.
- Audit and document the entire data migration process.
Looking for professional advice? Click here to get in touch with us today!
h/t to searchstorage techtarget for the info!
Cover Image Credit: Virtualization Review